Monday, May 2, 2011

The Lure of the Indoors


Last week I didn’t go outside as much as I could have. Yes, many of the mornings were dull and rainy but I could have taken a walk later in the day. I was coordinating a dance show and practicing for my performance but I still could have taken a short neighborhood walk. Instead, I spent much of my week glued to my computer watching the leaves on the trees and shrubs in the backyard opening a little bit more with each passing day.

People are always talking about how kids should spend more time outside and less time indoors watching television and playing computer games. However, how many adults who may exhort their children to go outdoors take their own suggestion?

I think we get caught up in thinking how outdoor activities and indoor activities are two separate animals. The outdoors is for gardening, walking, running around, playing sports, working on the car, fishing, etc. Yet, when was the last time you read a chapter from your book while sitting outside? Could kids take their homework outside or even (yes, the horror) bring their handheld electronic game outside?

Being outside doesn’t have to mean that we need to do anything outdoorsy. I have a deck with table and chairs literally on the other side of the wall where I am sitting now at a table typing. Granted, the door is open and the fresh air is coming inside, so why do I feel the need to sit on this side of that wall?

Read a storybook to your children while outside or encourage them to take their book outside and sprawl on a lawn chair instead of their bed. Persuade them to draw and paint; play with their cars or dolls; or give a new existence to a toy that’s become boring by playing with it outside. Yes, some pieces may get left outside and something will get rained on, but this also teaches children respect and responsibility for their belongings.

Challenge yourself and your children to do one thing this week that has no obligation to be done in the out of doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment